Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Why Behavioral Advertising is Absurd

OK, so there are a huge amount of digital ad companies out there coming up with the new cutting edge method to control the consumers buying habits and get them to buy their clients product or service. So, in the chase for the best method, they've developed tools that track sites you visit and then attempt to predict what ads you should see over and over so you buy that product.

Screen_shot_2012-01-31_at_10

Sounds pretty good in theory. I mean, that makes sense right? If I go to a site, then it would serve to logic that I am interested in that product or service and therefore I should see ads related to it that should cause me to buy. Except, I'm not interested in them and here's why. I was doing some research for one of my clients related to other similar companies pricing scales etc which caused me to go to a few sites that I wouldn't normally go to. I then proceeded to see ads all over the place for these companies. I then was looking into possible ideas for the weekly bonuses for my sales team and while looking came across sites like Disney and then again proceeded to see ads all over the place. This caused me to start looking at all the ads and I realized that I had no interest in many of them. I then started thinking about how many ads these behavioral strategies are making me miss. In other words, the ads I should be seeing, I'm not.
So, the question is, how do the ads actually get to the right person at the right time? I'm not in the digital ad business but we do know the answer to this question, however, I don't want to make this blog a pitch for our services so I leave you with that thought.

- Robert Cornish
CEO, Richter10.2 Media Group

No comments:

Post a Comment