Thursday, March 17, 2011

Goal Attainment

It's easy to get caught up looking off into the distant future and at the overall goal of what you are trying to attain but the actual way to attain your goal is by breaking it down into a series of small sub-goals that ultimately attain the overall goal.

I think a lot of people have trouble with this and get beat up trying to attain a goal that never seems to come to fruition. Here is how to attain a goal:

1. Write down the overall vision that you want to attain. Make it crystal clear so you have the goal clearly defined.

2. Work out the sequence of actions that would possibly be needed to attain the goal. In other words, what do you have to do to attain it. List every possible step or action related to the goal.

3. Take the first step or action and break it down into executable, doable targets.

4. Execute the first step and targets.

Then keep repeating step 1 to 4 over and over with all of your goal targets. The planning of goals and the working out of how to attain the goal itself is important. Once this is done, just focus on execution of the small sub-goals within the overall goal.

As an example, I run a lot and I have an overall goal that I am going after for sure but I focus on the sub-goals and then smaller sub-goals within those sub-goals. I get up everyday and go for a run with a goal in mind but even while running, I am only really focused on the next step in front of me. I am looking to accomplish one concrete block step after the other concrete block step. I don't stare at the distance that I am running toward. I don't think about the overall fitness goal either. I win goal after goal which are the small steps right in front of me and then by focusing on those, I end up attaining the overall goal for that day of the distance I want to go. This then is one sub-goal executed that aligns with the overall goal of a fitness target.

Does that make sense? It's the breaking down of a goal into bit sized chunks that are doable, executable targets that is actually how to attain a goal. Then focusing on the small targets and getting them done. These then will lead to actual attainment of the overall goal. Work out the goal. Work out the planning. Work out the sub-goals. Work out the sub-goal targets. Execute daily.

Here is a great video by Nike that I thought appropriate :)

- Robert Cornish
CEO, Richter10.2 Media Group


No comments:

Post a Comment